Saturday, November 2, 2013

Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel



Midnight City: A Conquered Earth Novel by J. Barton Mitchell is a post apocalyptic fight for survival story of two teenagers (Holt Hawkins and Mira Toombs), a dog (The Max) and a child (Zoey). You may ask why no adults  are in the book? That is because when the Earth was invaded by Aliens, they brought the Tone with them. The Tone is a broadcast by the Aliens, that controls anyone who has been conquered by it. Only those who are over 20 are usually affected by the Tone.   

My favorite character by far in the book was Zoey. The author kept her child like qualities even though she was basically living on her own. She kept asking, throughout the book, if she could "ride the Max." It made me laugh every time. It is a question that most kids have when they see a larger dog for the first time.

I made the mistake of reading the description of the next book before I was finished with this one. I knew what was going to happen. Normally, that would spoil a book for me. Even after that, I could not get enough of the book. Midnight City is constant action from page 1. Mitchell does an amazing job of drawing in his reader and not letting go until the end. The end of the book wraps up this story but leaves you wanting to know more about their journey. I am happy to see there are more upcoming books.

Although, I love the book and it is has found its way on to my favorite book list, I did find some story flaws. I am hoping one of the next books either The Severed Tower (November 2013) or Winterbay (December 2013) will answer them. I was confused as to how Zoey, learned to function as a human, since she was captured by the Aliens before she could speak. Most of the time when someone is raised in another culture, they are not able to adapt to a foreign culture. Not all of our behaviors as humans as inherent. We have to be taught to speak, write, walk, etc.

Due to being a book blogger, it is rare that I have to purchase a book. I will be purchasing the rest of the books in the series. Keep an eye out for the upcoming reviews.


No comments:

Post a Comment